Pages

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Please vote no on Proposal 8

I hope you'll forgive the brief political intrusion, but it's easy to think that political issues are abstract things that don't affect anyone personally. This isn't the case.

California's Proposal 8 would mean that the Other and I would not be able to share our lives the way any straight couple can choose to. Proposal 8 isn't about protecting marriage; it's about restricting it to only a certain type of people. If you really want to protect marriage, get a proposal on the ballot to eliminate the right to divorce—my ability to marry my partner doesn't invalidate or threaten anyone else's marriage.

God doesn't want discrimination. Yes, I know all about what the Bible says, and it's just as adamant that we don't eat pork or wear mixed fibers (though I run as far from poly-cotton blends as the next guy). Please don't be fooled into voting yes on 8 by the idea that it assures religious freedom. True religious freedom means that religious beliefs are personal beliefs, not law.

If you live in California, please vote no on Proposal 8. It may only be an abstract issue in your life, but it could mean very concrete and very real discrimination for me.

NO8-468x60-unfair

5 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Since you "know" why I can't eat pork & mix fibers - please explain that to my "I read the bible regularly" friends who don't "get it."

I'm with you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so with you...my marriage will not be adversely affected if gay/lesbian couples are allowed to marry as well. My sentiments continue on that I very, very strongly feel that gay/lesbian couples should be allowed to adopt children, too...

Will keep my fingers crossed for California tomorrow!
Anjea
Austin, TX

Anonymous said...

Here in Arkansas a ban on unmarried cohabiting adults adopting or fostering children has been passed. It is sad that this makes it even harder for children to get out of the system. I have seen some of the people who are alowed to foster, and I am not encouraged.

Morgan said...

I'm so sad to see the bans seem to have passed in all the states they had them in. But especially California! I always expect better of my state. Such a disappointment to learn that there are a lot of narrow-minded people out there.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the support, everybody! It's really a shame that in at the same time we had a presidential election that's a major civil rights victory, 52% of the people even in a blue state are quite happy to vote discrimination into the state constitution.

@quiltedepee and anonymous in Arkansas: I don't understand either how two parents who would love and care for a child shouldn't be allowed to adopt one. No straight couple has to pass a parenting test to have their own kids--and some maybe should!